Plantfanatic

I am an avid gardener, small truck patch grower, and a tomato enthusiast.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Quest for An Earlier Tomato

I planted my tomatoes recently hoping for an earlier crop this year. I don’t know about you, but it feels awful good to have beautiful tomatoes in the early summer. So I try to plant them as early as possible. I have also learned a few tricks. Such as when the tomatoes are about full size, but still green take a shovel and slice the roots about a foot from the base of the plant, this makes the plant think it’s going to die so it ripens the tomatoes up nice and fast. Also I don’t know if any of you have tried all the different little greenhouses that you can get to put over you tomatoes, such as Wall-O-Water or just plane milk jugs. These are nice to get them off to a great start. I’m sure there’s other ways to extend the tomato season, if you have any tips please leave me a comment.

Until next time,
Plantfanatic

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home